ATC Driveaway Driver Requirements

ATC Driveaway works hard to provide the most reliable, professional Driveaway service. We offer competitive rates to ensure we have top quality drivers. By recruiting only experienced, reputable, independent driver/contractors who have all necessary licensing with clean driving records and a courteous disposition on and off the road, our customers are assured of the best delivery experience possible. If you are interested in contracting with us, please click “Apply Now.”

Candidates Must: 

  • Be at least 23 years of age
  • Have Driveaway experience
  • Have two years of verifiable CDL driving experience
  • Have a valid Class A or Class B CDL
  • Have a current DOT Physical and be able to pass a DOT pre-employment drug test
  • Be able to pass a criminal background check
  • Comply with Independent Contractor’s daily log requirements as prescribed in 49 CFR Part 395

All driver applicants must meet all of the general qualifications under 49CFR & Section 391.11, including, without limitation, the United States DOT Requirements that a driver applicant be at least 23 years old and can read and speak the English language sufficiently to converse with the public and to understand highway traffic signs and signals in the English language.

Frequently Asked Questions:

What Is My Schedule?

As an Independent Contractor, you determine your own work schedules.  You are free to choose when you drive because there is no forced dispatch.  The most successful Driveaway contractors who want to stay busy usually work with at least two Driveaway companies.

How Do I Get Paid?

As an Independent Contractor, you are paid a settlement, plus applicable reimbursements for permits and tolls, or any other approved vehicle expenses. Receipts must be turned in for all reimbursements and fuel. ATC’s driver pay starts at $1.00 per mile for CDL vehicles. You always know the pay before you accept a move. We do not withhold anything from your pay to accumulate toward an Escrow account. We pay $20.00 per hour for downtime or a breakdown – up to $200.00 per day.

When Do I Get Paid?


ATC pays two business days after settlement paperwork is emailed in.  We have EFS fuel cards for fuel. We pay via direct deposit into your bank account.


What Does ATC Reimburse?


ATC reimburses all fuel used in the client’s vehicle, as well as permits and tolls, and any other miscellaneous expenditures used for the client’s vehicle. ATC does reimburse fuel at 100%, but you pay for the fuel up front.  EFS Fuel cards are available.  We can usually order and pay for permits in advance.  However, there are some states that require the driver to purchase at the point of entry.  We reimburse this at 100%.


What Does ATC Move?


We move primarily straight trucks – mostly utility and service bodies.  All of our moves are commercial, and the majority of our moves are new vehicle deliveries.  We deliver light trucks and vans that are less than 10,000 pounds all the way to trucks with 80,000 GVWR.


Where Does ATC Deliver?


We deliver across the United States.  The majority of our moves are one-way. We encourage you to contract with more than one Driveaway company. This allows contractors to put moves together for multiple Driveaway companies and make more money.


How Do I Get To And From A Move?

Transportation between moves is the responsibility of the contractor.  Many contractors have tow-behind vehicles, but some clients do not allow towing.  This would be known in advance of accepting a move. Contractors often use rental cars for longer returns and Uber for shorter distances.

What About Logs?

ATC requires all new Contractors to use Motive for maintaining your record of duty status.  You can set us as Primary (we will be able to see your account) or manually push your logs to us weekly.  As an active Contractor you must provide continuous records to us. If you fail to maintain your logs, you will not be eligible to make moves with ATC.