It’s National Sunglasses Day (June 27)
The sun’s effects are ugly and dangerous; and for truckers, the odds are against us. Make sure you know the facts about how to protect your sight (and skin) before you jump into your rig on a sunny day, or a cloudy day, for that matter!
- UV rays are the threatening ones, and they AREN’T intimidated by clouds! Those days can be especially hazardous, as people tend to omit the sunscreen and sunglasses when they “don’t need them.”
- The left arm of a trucker is exposed to FIVE TIMES more UV rays than the right.
- The left side of the face of a trucker is exposed to TWENTY TIMES more UV rays than the right!
- The damage of sun exposure ranges from dehydrating skin (causing sags, wrinkles, and brown spots) to all types of skin cancer.
- 75% of melanomas (the most lethal of skin cancers) appear on the left side of the body.
But truckers CAN beat the odds! Here are a few things you can do:
- Use sunscreen. Your mother’s been telling you this since you were six years old, but truckers are especially notorious for not doing it. In cold, rainy, cloudy, AND sunny weather, ALWAYS wear sunscreen.
- Long sleeves, hats and sunglasses are a must! But not just ANY sunglasses. Eye strain and corneal burn are extreme problems for drivers, so you MUST purchase a good pair of sunglasses that contain 100% UV protection (or UV400).
- Leave the window up. No matter how much you love to roll it down, prop up your arm, and feel that refreshing breeze on your skin, don’t do it! You are getting direct sun exposure!
- Finally, schedule now for a yearly appointment with the dermatologist. The general population is now encouraged to do this; it’s all that much more important to our most vulnerable and treasured population…truck drivers.
June 27 is National Sunglasses Day. Buying a good pair of protective sunglasses and taking a few extra precautions are well worth the investment in your health and your career!
ATC Driveaway works hard to provide the most reliable, professional Driveaway service. We offer competitive rates to ensure we have top quality drivers. By recruiting only experienced, reputable, independent driver/contractors who have all necessary licensing with clean driving records and a courteous disposition on and off the road, our customers are assured of the best delivery experience possible. If you are interested in contracting with us, please click “Apply Now.” Learn more about requirements and qualifications of all ATC Driveaway Drivers here.