Here’s What You Need to Know About Driveaway Jobs

There’s never been a better time to get into the transportation industry — the American Trucking Association reports that it had a shortage of 51,000 drivers last year.

Due to this shortage, the average yearly salary of a CDL driver has increased from $43,464 to $57,062. However, you don’t necessarily need to drive for Amazon or Walmart to make this amount. Independent contract drivers can make lots of money with driveaway jobs for multiple companies.

What is a driveaway driver?

In this article, we’ll teach you everything you need to know about the position and what it entails. Let’s get started!

What Does a Driveaway Driver Do?

A driveaway driver is a certified transporter who moves cars, trucks and other expensive vehicles from one point to another.

If this definition seems broad it’s because this profession requires a vast knowledge of vehicle operation. For example, some easy jobs might have you driving rental cars or cars for sale to different locations where they’re needed. The job isn’t easy — it often requires grueling hours and extended time spent in closed spaces. They also require additional transport after the job is finished. If they aren’t close, then some drivers use rental cars or Greyhound buses to get from job to job.

More advanced jobs involve transporting trucks that contain equipment or goods. They can also include specialized vehicles like tankers, waste trucks, utility vehicles, and construction trucks. 

How Much Does a Driveaway Driver Earn?

Most driveaway drivers are independent contractors, which means they work from job to job — usually with multiple companies. To maximize your earnings as a driveaway driver you should work with at least two driveaway companies. Preferably one job will end in the city that another job begins. Most companies will pay the drivers a settlement either in the form of an hourly wage or per mile. They also reimburse the drivers for the cost of gas and any permits you may need for the job. 

If you have any more questions about how much a driveaway driver earns at a company like ATC, then you can check out some of our frequently asked questions here

What Types of Licenses Will You Need for Driveaway Jobs?

Not all driveaway companies require a CDL (commercial driver’s license) — some companies provide their training on-site. However, non-CDL driveaway drivers are both paid less and limited in the number of jobs they can take.

As such, a CDL is worth the investment if you’re serious about a transportation career. You can apply for a CDL at your local Department of Motor Vehicles. But what type of CDL do you need for the profession?

Class A CDL

According to the DMV, a Class A holder can drive “any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of twenty-six thousand one (26,001) pounds or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle being towed is more than ten thousand (10,000) pounds.” This type of license provides more jobs, but it also requires a lot more studying and training.

You will also need to complete a health examination to determine if you have any preexisting medical conditions that could affect your driving — like high blood pressure.  

You can drive the following types of vehicles with a Class A CDL:

  • Tractors with trailers
  • Truck and trailer combinations
  • Tanker truck
  • Livestock carriers
  • Flatbeds trucks

Class B CDL

According to the DMV, a Class B holder can drive “any drive any single vehicle with a GVWR of twenty-six thousand one (26,001) pounds or more, and any such vehicle towing a vehicle, not over ten thousand (10,000) pounds. A Class B CDL requires a general knowledge written test, road test, and completion of the DOT health examination. You can drive the following types of vehicles with a Class B CDL:

  • Dump trucks that hold small trailers
  • Large buses
  • Segmented buses
  • Tractor-trailers
  • Straight trucks
  • Box trucks

Applicable Endorsements

Some specialized vehicles require that you apply for specialized endorsements to transport them. You can add on endorsements usually with written tests, but it’s important to remember that all of them are different. Here are some endorsements that can help driveaway drivers:

  • T Endorsement — more than one trailer
  • P Endorsement — transporting passengers
  • S Endorsement — school bus operation
  • N Endorsement — hulling liquid gas
  • H Endorsement — transporting hazardous material
  • TWIC Card — needed for secure access to maritime facilities and vessels

Interested In Becoming A Driveway Driver? Apply to ATC Driveaway

ATC Driveaway is a company that values experienced drivers with clean records. Our business even offers properly licensed drivers competitive rates for their specialized knowledge.

We are always looking for great, professional drivers. If you’re a professional driver interested in working for our company, you can complete an application here. Alternatively, you can also hire our drivers if you’re a business that needs transporting. Get a free quote!